Sunday, March 28, 2010

My SUP race

Last summer I raced my Stand Up Paddle Board down in Hood River Waterfront Event Site in Hood River, Oregon.
These guys came from all over the world to come race.  Some had been racing for years.  I had only been paddling for three months.  They were such an inclusive bunch.  Happy to show me the ropes.
You can see the nose of my board in the far left of this first picture.

The race was a two hour endurance race.
We made many laps around the event site in HoodRiver.
After a few laps about half the racers had to stop.
By the end of the race the wind was up to 30 knots I think.
The hardest part of the lap was into the wind.
By the end of my time, while going into the wind I could no longer paddle forward.  The wind kept pushing against me.  If I stopped paddling for a second I would go back twenty feet in seconds!

  



A bunch of the racers landed on the shore behind me in this picture. The wind would blow them backward onto the beach.

This is a photo of the windy part of the lap.  One of my earlier laps when the wind was not as strong.

I finally had to stop after one hour and fifty minutes. Almost five full laps around the course.

This race was in conjunction with a Kite Boarding competition. The entire event was a fund raiser for Cancer.
The event was called Kiting4Cancer, SUP4Cancer.
I think they raised $20,000 that year.
The event will be happening this year again.
It is such a great event, so beautiful with the many Kites flying in the back ground.
In the evenings there is live music and food.  Requisite beer garden. Such a great atmosphere.  Everyone physically tired from the day's events.
I will be going again!


I really want to get some races for Stand Up Paddles going here in Bay.  The wind would not be such an issue.  I will post information when we get something organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment